At our dental office in Arlington, Texas, we aim to provide our patients with up-to-date information regarding dental care. With all of the information on the internet, it can be difficult to know what is and isn’t important. For your convenience, we have shared some topics of interest that we would like you to be mindful of.
Did You Know…
- Certain medical conditions and many over the counter and prescription medications can cause dry mouth. When left unattended it can lead to rampant decay (cavities) in your mouth. Talk to Dr. Flanagan about ways to manage this condition.
- Several studies link ongoing inflammation from periodontitis with heart disease, artery blockages and stroke.
- Infections are a common complication of mouth jewelry (tongue or lip piercings) due to the millions of bacteria in your mouth. The piercing can also cause chips or cracks in your teeth.
- Pregnancy hormones can cause gingivitis, requiring more frequent cleanings. Severe periodontal (gum) disease can increase the risk of your child having a low birth weight.
- Smokeless tobacco packs an extra punch. Manufacturers often mix sugar in the tobacco to make it taste better, and that sugar causes cavities.
If you have any questions about your dental care and treatment options, call 817-468-8600 to set up your appointment with our dentist and team.